Zhifang Wang, Ph.D.
Assistant professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Phone: (804) 828-5330
Fax: (804) 827-0006
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Engineering
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
West Hall, Room 208
601 West Main Street
P.O. Box 843072
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3072
- B.S. , Electrical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1995
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1998
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Cornell University, 2005
- IEEE Senior Member
- Introduction to Power Grid and Smart Grid (Graduate Seminar)
- Cascading failures in power grids
- Energy system modeling and optimization,
- Integration of renewable generation
- Voltage stability and controls
- Smart Grid Communication Architecture
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, R. J. Thomas, “Electrical Centrality Measures for Power Grids”, contributed book chapter, chapter 12 in Control and Optimization Theory for Electric Smart Grids, edited by M. Ilic, and A. Chakrabortty, Springer, 2012.
- A. Scaglione, Z. Wang, M. Alizadeh, “New Models for Networked Control in Smart Grid”, contributed book chapter, chapter 2 in Smart Grid Communications and Networking, edited by E. Hossain, Z. Han, and H. V. Poor, Cambridge University Press, 2011
- S. Galli, A. Scaglione and Z. Wang, “For the Grid and through the Grid: the role of power line communications in the Smart grid” in the special issue “Smart Grid: The Electric Energy System of the Future,” Proceedings of the IEEE , 99(6):998-1027, 2011. (identified by IEEE Xplore as one of the Top 100 Downloaded Articles for five months from June to October 2011, and also selected by the IEEE Communication Society as one of the best readings in PLC, cited in http://www.comsoc.org/BestReadings/Topic/PLC).
- M. Alizadeh, X. Li, Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, R. Melton, “Demand Side Management in the Smart Grid: Information Processing for the Power Switch”, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine: Special Issue on Smart Grid, 2011.
- Z. Wang, R. J. Thomas, and A. Scaglione, “Generating Statistically Correct Random Topologies for Testing Smart Grid Communication and Control Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, volume 1(1):28-39, 2010.
Z. Wang, R. J. Thomas, and Z. J. Haas, “Performance comparison of Bluetooth scatternet formation protocols for multi-hop networks”, Wirelss Networks, volume 15(2), p.209–226, 2009.
- C. Chen, S. Kishore, Z. Wang, M. Alizadeh, A. Scaglione, “A Cournot Game Analysis on Market Effects of Queuing Energy Request as Demand Responseto the Submission Site ”, 2012 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- M. Alizadeh, Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, C. Chen, S. Kishore, “On the Market Effects of Queueing Energy Requests as an Alternative to Storing Electricity”, 2012 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- X. Li, Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, “Decentralized Data Processing and Management in Smart Grid via Gossiping”, 2012 IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop, Hoboken, NJ. (Best student paper finalist of IEEE SAM 2012).
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, R. J. Thomas, “A Markov-Transition Model for Cascading Failures in Power Grids”, HICSS’45, Jan 4-7, 2012, Maui, Hawaii.
- M. Alizadeh, Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, “Demand Side Management Trends in the Power Grid”, IEEE 4th International Workshop on Computational Advances in Multi-Sensor Adaptive Processing (CAMSAP 2011), Dec 13-16, 2011, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- S. Galli, A. Scaglione, and Z. Wang, “Power Line Communications and the Smart Grid”, 1st IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), Gaithersburg, Maryland, Oct 4-6 2010.
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione and R.J. Thomas, “Compressing Electrical Power Grids”, 1st IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), Gaithersburg, Maryland, October 4-6, 2010.
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione and R.J. Thomas, “Electrical Centrality Measures for Electric Power Grid Vulnerability Analysis”, invited article for the 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlanta, Georgia, December 15-17, 2010.
- M. Alizadeh, A. Scaglione, and Z. Wang, “On the impact of SmartGrid metering infrastructure on load forecasting”, invited article for the 48th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, p. 1628-1636, Monticello, Illinois, Sep29 – Oct 1, 2010.
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione and R. J. Thomas, “The Node Degree Distribution in Power Grid and Its Topology Robustness under Random and Selective Node Removals”, the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Smart Grid Communications, Cape Town, South Africa, May 2010.
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione and R. J. Thomas, “On Modeling Random Topology Power Grids for Testing Decentralized Network Control Strategies”, the 1st IFAC Workshop on Distributed Estimation and Control in Networked System, NecSys’09, September 24-26, 2009.
- Z. Wang, A. Scaglione and R. J. Thomas, “Generating Random Topology Power Grids”, the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-41, January, 2008.
- S. Kirti, Z. Wang, A. Scaglione, and R. Thomas, “On the Communication Architecture for Wide-Area Real-Time Monitoring in Power Networks,” the 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-40, Big Islands, Jan 2007.
- C. Jaeseok, R. Thomas, Z. Wang, A. El-Keib, R. Billinton, “A study on probabilistic optimal reliability criterion determination in composite power system expansion planning”, IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, p.1277 – 1284, volume (2), June 12-16, 2005.
- Z. Wang, Z. Haas, and R. J. Thomas, “BlueNet II – A Detailed Realization of the Algorithm and Performance Analysis”, HICSS-36, Big Island, Hawaii, January 2003.
- Z. Wang, R. J. Thomas, Z. Haas, “Bluenet – a New Scatternet Formation Scheme”, 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Science, HICSS-35, Big Island, Hawaii, January 2002.
- Y. Sun, C. Sun, Z. Wang, Q. Lu, “Voltage Security Enhancement Using ASVG Nonlinear Control”, the International Conference on Energy Management and Power Delivery, IEEE EMPD-95, p. 337-341, Piscataway, NJ, 1995.